Sunday, October 2, 2011

Imagine all the evergreens...a NW girl in a land of orange trees.

Buenas,

Long time no write.  I've been teaching English and seeing things around Seville and trying to keep myself busy.  I do confess that I've been quite homesick lately and haven't quite known what to do with myself.  I have been trying to meet new people but don't quite know how exactly.  It's not easy being far away from everything you know.  I miss my family, boyfriend, and friends.  Lucky for me, my boyfriend is coming to visit me in 10 days!  I cannot wait!

While this is a lovely city full of history and stories, I really do miss my evergreen state and even the rainy days I am so accustomed to from living in Seattle.  The weather here is like summer still.  It's over 90 every day and humid to boot.  I love seeing the sun, but I'm ready for the cooler weather to kick in.  Today I was out in the hottest part of the day and noted a readerboard said it was 37 degrees.  40 degrees Celsius is 100 Fahrenheit, so I'll let you do the math on how hot that makes 37.

I had some fun today wandering around town.  My first stop was at the Festival de las Naciones.  This festival is going on in a park nearby and there are stands selling food, drinks, and items from nations of the world.  I like learning about other cultures so it was fun for me to check it all out.  My nose took me to the Mexican food stand.  I will go back there in a day or 2 for some good Mexican food, but today I settled on a fizzy orange drink and an empanada Uruguayan style.  I also had a cookie flavored with anis...though I have no clue what country it represented.  Anyway, it was a fun place to hang out.  I plan to bring my boyfriend there.

After the festival, I took a walk through some lovely gardens here and into what used to be a home for old priests.  It's now home to works by Velazquez and other famous painters and has a pretty courtyard garden in it too.  I never get tired of the beautiful gardens and tile mosaics that are everywhere here!

Not a ton has happened since I last wrote.  I've mostly just been teaching and exploring the city.  I did go to the beach with my roommates and one of her friends last weekend and that was a lot of fun.  I love the beach!  Ever since being caught in riptide in Costa Rica, I've had a fear of going out very far in the ocean though, especially when there are many waves.  I know that's kind of silly, seeing as I was in Costa Rica 7 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!), but that fear has stuck with me.  It was time I learned how big and powerful the ocean is and how small I am.  I still love being by the ocean though and breathing in the salty air.  I'm  heading back to the beach in a few weeks and cannot wait!

I'll write more soon.  Hope everyone at home is well.  Looks like I'm going to head home a bit earlier than planned.  Will keep you posted.

Adios,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment