Monday, September 5, 2011

Meeting new people is fun!


Hey!

So the theme of the past week has been meeting new people (as this entry's title would presume).  I am still at Rosa and Carlo's house and am enjoying meeting the new TEFL "kids".  I have 2 new roommates (my previous roommate is back in England now :( ).  So, Rimante is from Lithuania and Mayhelen is from Norway.  It's amazing how well Europeans from so many countries are bilingual at such a young age.  Both girls speak perfect English.  On Sunday, Rimante and I went out exploring the city and saw a different part of town than where I usually go.  Mayhelen came last night as well as a new guy from England.  A bunch of us went out for drinks last night and had a good time comparing cultures, languages, etc.  A part of this  experience that I find I am really enjoying is meeting new people from all over.

On another note, I am receiving many responses to my adds offering English lessons.  I can't remember if I already blogged about this or not, but basically, they have several sites here that are like Craig's list.  I have placed adds on these sites to try and find students.  So far I've responded to many adds and probably have 2 that seem quite likely to work out.  Many people have responded but then when I reply to their emails, they don't respond.  I'm trying to figure out the best way of replying to their emails.

Also, Rosa is helping me find some work because her nephew and his friend need a new English teacher.  So that's likely to work out as well.  I'd work with each boy for an hour or 2 per week.  In addition to that, she is friends with a family who has young children and would like someone to work with their kids in English.  Hopefully some of these leads will work out.  I am starting to miss not being busy!  During the TEFL class I was busy, busy, busy all the time.  Now that I've had a week off, I'm starting to get slightly bored.  Hanging out with new people is certainly helping with that, but on days like today when I have nothing planned, I feel a bit lost.

As much as I like Rosa and Carlo and could see myself staying in this house, I am interested in finding my own room in an apartment somewhere and sort of having my own place.  It was awkward telling Rosa this since she's been so nice and is helping me to find some work.  However, she asked me about when my bf was coming...and that lead me to tell her.  Dawn, my TEFL teacher, emailed us girls about an apartment opening up and I contacted the girl in charge of it.  Yesterday, she met me near my place (the new apartment is close by) and we went to check it out.  She'd be one of my roommates and is the niece of the woman who owns the flat.  The rooms are rented out to people like me and a single room is available on Sept 19th.  After considering the price and talking it over with a few people, it seems like a good fit for me.  We shall see if it works out.  I've sent an email saying that I'd like the room.

That is it for now.  I'm off to walk down to the Plaza de Espana.  It's apparently really gorgeous and I have yet to see it.  If it's as amazing as I'm told, it will go on the list of stuff to do when my bf comes next month!

Cuidense mucho!  Take care everyone!
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment