Thursday, September 1, 2011

Madrid part 2 and new Spanish friends

Hola a todos!

Well, Madrid day 1 started off a bit dreary as you noted by the negative tone of my blog.  It ended fine though I was exhausted and feeling very lonely.  I found a cute little family run hostel to stay in and got a good night's sleep.  I even got to was MTV on the little tv in my room!  Ah, junky tv from home :)

Day 2 in Madrid was good!  I went first to the train station to buy my ticket home.  Though it's expensive, it seemed better to me to not be on a bus for 6 more hours and to not get home in the dark.  So worth it!  After I got my ticket, I went to the art museum called Reina Sophia (I think) which is where the Guernica painting by Picasso is.  I gawked at it for quite a while because I've waited so long to see it!  It was awesome to see in person.  The other modern art there didn't really do it for me but that's ok.  Just seeing Picasso's work there made it worth it.  Then, I went to the house where Lope de Vega (famous writer from the 1600s) lived because taking a tour of it is free!  Free is a good word when you're jobless.  The tour was all in Spanish but I am happy to say I understood most of it.  After that I went to this giant park and ate some sandwiches from a deli nearby.  All in all, a good day.

I have to say I'm quite proud of myself for navigating a big city all by myself and not getting terribly lost.  I don't know whether or not I'd have had the guts to do that before this trip.  It was a growing experience for me and I got pretty tired of being alone at times, but also enjoyed doing whatever I wanted to.

Last night I was home by about 9:30 or 10:00 and there was a gift waiting for me in my room!  My boyfriend sent me cupcakes!  You may find this hilarious but I'm in love with cupcakes and he knows this so it was the perfect gift from a great guy.  Thanks to skype, I got to thank him :)

Today I went for hot chocolate with my new friend Pablo and his cousin Carmen.  They are both in their early 20s.  Pablo was one of our students when we practiced teaching English in our TEFL class.  It was a lot of fun to hang out with them and to make a Spanish girlfriend!  It was sweet of Pablo to remember that I wanted to meet some girls here and arrange it.  We got soaked because it's been pouring rain but that's ok.  Carmen seems fun so hopefully we'll hang out again soon.  Tomorrow I'm meeting another student, Alfonso, for an intercambio (to practice Spanish and English).  Helping each other in this way is good for both parties!

My current plan is to see how work goes and plan on being home around Christmas, or maybe a bit before.  I don't know and won't until I start work and see if I can make enough $ to live on.  I will just see how it goes.  That's it for now.  Hope all is well with you!

Con carino,
Ashlita

No comments:

Post a Comment