Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Moving day and the job search continues...

Saludos!

I hope you're all doing well and enjoying what I'm told is an Indian summer back home.  Summer is still in full swing here for the most part.  Yes, kids are heading back to school, but let me tell you, it doesn't feel like summer has ended to me.  It's got to be about 90 outside most days.  You sweat like mad just walking a few blocks because it's been more humid lately...or maybe it just feels more humid.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it cooling off to about 75 or 80.  This Seattlegirl is not used to hot weather!

Anyway, today is moving day!  The aforementioned apartment (in my last entry) did not work out mostly because of timing and me finding a cheaper place.  I met up with a friend here for intercambio (if I haven't explained yet it's Spanish/English conversation practice) and we got to talking about my apartment search.  He has a friend here who's been looking for a 3rd girl for their apartment.  I got in touch with her and checked out the flat.  There are 2 girls living there already who are Irish and Spanish.  The Spanish girl wants to learn English and I of course want to learn Spanish, so that already seemed kinda perfect.  The girl from Ireland speaks both fluently.  So the girls seemed nice, the flat was fine, and the price was great, so I said I'd move in if they wanted me.  So, tonite I'm heading over.  It's across town by the train station.  I'll miss Rosa and Carlo's cooking and being around friends a lot, but I'm really looking forward to my own space again.  Also, I'm excited to get to know my new roommates.  Both are about my age +/- a few years and I think we'll get along well.  New friends?  I expect so!

I've been making progress in lining up students and expect to meet with a family tonight and another tomorrow.  The next several nights I have meetings and then hopefully will get a schedule mapped out for giving private lessons.  Once that's done I can get into a bit of a routine.  I do start work with a new family tomorrow night.  I met them last week and look forward to getting to know them better.  The initial meeting was kinda of awkward, but they seem nice and it should work out fine.


Last weekend I went out for tapas with my friend Alfonso and some girls he's friends with.  He's the one who connected me with the girls I'm going to move in with. On Sunday, I went to the yoghurteria (frozen yoghurt shop) with Carmen and her friend Barbara.  It was great to meet a new girl to hang out with!  I love hanging out with Spanish friends because it forces me to work on my Spanish!  Plus, they're all really nice about helping me when I get stuck.


So my current plan is to be here until early Dec or end of Nov.  We'll see.  The apartment I'm moving to is available until the end of Nov.  We have to be out Dec 1.  I think airfare will cost a fortune later in Dec anyway so leaving then will be ok with me.  I've looked and it's half the price to fly home Dec 8 then like Dec 15th!  I'll buy a ticket later, but that's the plan. 


That's it for now.  These entries always get super long because I forget to write often enough.  Keep me posted on what's going on in your life :-)


Un beso,
Ashlita

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley, You are sounding so comfortable in your new surroundings---popping out to have tapas, getting new students lined up for your teaching, finding a new place to live. I'm so happy things are going so well. I just had 3 days quilting with Marilee Lewis who came up from Phoenix to join us on Whidbey, and we had so much fun. She also had heard how well things are going for you in your new locale. Very cool!!
    cheers, brenda mallett

    ReplyDelete