Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Madrid is NOT user friendly

Saludos from Madrid!

So the saga begins.  It started with a bus ride that seemed to never end.  6 hours to be exact, but it was a helluva lot cheaper that the train.  I think I'll splurge and take the train home.  So I have been on many buses to the beach and such and never had a problem sleeping.  In fact, the drammamine (sp?) normally knocks me out like that.  However last night after catching the midnight bus and taking drammamine, I still could not sleep.  Perhaps it was the bus was freezing, perhaps it was that the guy behind me thought it was perfectly acceptable to make snorting sounds like he was a hawking a loogie the entire time or perhaps it was that I got stuck in the very first seat and it was too bright (you dont get to pick your seat).  Either way, I am wiped out already!

So I get to the bus station and make my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth and whatnot.  Ok so you tell me: are we just too pampered in public restrooms in America or are they just gross in Europe?  I never knew that asking for soap, seat covers and paper towels was asking that much!  Well to be fair, this is the first time that I have seen soap in a public restroom since being here!

Anyway, I make my way to the tourist info stand and ask for a map.  The guy says there are none.  I walk away tired and frustrated and look at the metro maps for a half a clue as to which line to aim for.  I buy a ticket and head down.  Still no idea where to go and no map in sight.  So I walk farther and spot a city map on the wall.  After a good 10 minutes I still cannot locate the street I want so I head upstairs to ask the security guys for help.  They eventually figure it out and I miraculously make my way to Plazadora de Jines (or something like that).  I am so stoked to finally be at the chocolateria in my guidebook that I take a pic of the street sign.  However, despite the fact that my guidebooks say open 24hours and there are signs posted all over the shop that say ¨open all day and night,¨ the shop is closed.  Only in Spain.

By now it is 8:30 and I am cold and hungry for those chocolate churros that my guidebooks raved about.  I pop into the Starbucks across the street for a decaf (finally found my decaf in Spain!!!) and low and behold am the ONLY one in the salon upstairs hanging out.  I took a pic to document this amazing occurence that would never happen in Seattle!  Well I may as well be sitting in a freezer because thats how cold it is in Starbucks...so I wonder a bit and then success!  I FINALLY get my hot chocolate and churros and se vale la pena, so worth it!  They were delicious...and a great start to a fun day in Madrid!

My day included a walking tour of the city, the Prado art museum, the famous Cervantes/Don Quijote de la Mancha monument and now am looking for a place to stay tonight. 

The saga continues tomorrow, stay tuned...





No comments:

Post a Comment