Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sevilla rocks!

Saludos!

So things are going pretty well so far.  By last night I was physically and emotionally exhausted and then stayed out all night, till about 4 which is not my style but the Spaniards are night owls.  Dinnertime is at 9 or 10 normally!   Needless to say, we slept in till like 12:30 today when Rosa woke us up so the cleaning lady could change our sheets.  

I have no idea where to start!  This was a very full week.  Class has been good so far.  I am learning a lot about effective ways to teaching language and I wish I'd learned it a long time ago because it would have helped me when I taught Spanish.  I am considering doing ELL when I get home so this training is awesome for that possibility.  We're in class from 9-3:30, just like elementary school!

So I typical day is like this: 9-3:30 class, 4:00 lunch, 5-6 siesta or hw.  Then Siesta time is taken very seriously here so most shops (even grocery stores and pharmacies) are closed from about 3-6.  I sometimes take a nap but generally not.  I don't sleep well at night if I sleep during the day.  However, after one of Rosa and Carlo's lunches, I get such a food coma!  And the 90 degree weather is making us all tired out.

Rosa and Carlo are our landlords.  They are the warmest, kindest people ever.  We have lunch at their house each day...it's called half board I guess since we just have the one meal.  We could have done breakfast as well but most of us wanted to sleep in as late as possible so we just grab a quick bite downstairs in our little apartment instead.  We have a small kitchen and a few rooms.  Amy and I are in one and then the guys are in the other.  Our other 3 classmates are in other homes around town.  We have people from the US, England, South Africa, and Holland in our class!  It's been interesting to compare cultures and sayings.  We always joke about the things we say differently.  Rosa and Carlo make the most delicious meals.  We always have tinto verano (summer wine, which is like wine and sprite combined-so it's less strong and you can drink more, according to Rosa!), cheese, bread with olive oil, sea salt, and tomatoes, some sort of main dish, and a dessert with alcohol.  I'm loving those meals!  I feel like this sweet couple is more like my host family than landlords.  They go out of their way to make us comfortable.  Our laundry gets done, rooms cleaned, and Rosa even greets me with a hug and a kiss!  I'll miss them a lot when I leave.  They're the best!

What else?  I went to the soccer ("not soccer, football" as my new friend Matt would say) stadium and get some cool stuff in their team store.  I also took some pics of the stadium.  I'm hoping to go to a game when the season starts.  Gelato shops are everywhere so there's no shortage of ice cream in my diet!  I went shopping in el centro last night and got some summer dresses.  That's the other thing-since shops close for la siesta, they open later at night and stay open till 10 or 11 sometimes.

Tomorrow a few of us are going to Cadiz to the beach!  I'm so excited to see a new town and just relax on the beach.  It's about an hour bus ride we think.  Maybe a little longer.  I found the bus station today to buy us some tickets and also explored town some more.  Next on my list is to see some flamenco dancing!  I'll probably skip the bull fight, not really my thing.

I don't have any pics uploaded onto my computer yet but I'll try to post some soon.  I have so much hw that it's a bit tough to find time to blog.  We never get to bed before 1 and still there's always more to do!  It's not hard, just tedious and time consuming.  I'll report back soon on what's new here.  Basically, Sevilla is a lovely little city (around 700,000 I think) and I'm enjoying being here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment