Saturday, July 30, 2011

I made it!

Hello!

I made it to Sevilla safe and sound...and so exhausted.  I don't know where to begin...

My flight left thursday morning at 8:50 for Chicago.  From there I flew to Madrid.  I spent about 4 hours in the Madrid airport and then flew to Sevilla.  I think those hours in Madrid were the longest ever!  I was so sleepy and finally just wrapped my arms around my backpack and fell asleep like that for a bit.  And word from the wise, Madrid airport is not planned out for people's needs when they arrive!  Most people are parched and really have to use the restroom after flying, but I had to go through customs before I could find a drink and bathroom.  BTW-customs in Madrid went fine.  Oddly enough, the guapo customs guy took my passport and stamped it and handed the form back to me.  He didn't even take the top half like they're supposed to!  So thanks American Airlines for all the unnecessary anxiety about customs >: (  Read below:

American Airlines sucks.  Let me just vent publically about them now.  The lady at the self-check in place (at Sea-Tac) came to take my suitcase and kinda freaked out about my one way ticket.  I explained to her that I was going to Spain for a bit and was not sure when I'd return but could be there for 3 months on a tourist visa and that the TEFL people advised me to get one way.  She said it's not ok to have a one way without proof of returning to the USA.  She said Spain may refuse me upon arrival...and deport me.  She totally freaked me out!  So she tried to call some supervisor somewhere, told me she could not reach them and was too busy to help me so to get in the full service check out line (AKA not self-check).  I did this and she then called me out of it to say she spoke to said supervisor and that if I was deported all the fees were on me and not them.  So it was about money.  Of course.  Then she says I should really book a return ticket to be safe.  So I get back in the full service line and talk to another woman, who is also rude and shows zero compassion for the girl who is in tears in front of her...she ends up having me take out my computer and forward and email from the TEFL people to her.  So now I'm panicking that I'm going to get stuck in the security line and miss my flight.  More tears in line.  Somehow that line was not terrible and I made my flights.

I know that was a loooong story above but I had to explain to you all so you will not subject yourself to the treatment I received.  Lucky for me, all flights were on time and I landed in Sevilla at 1:00 as planned.  Since it was broad daylight and a cab was 25 euros, I bused it.  Yes, that's right, I took the city bus to my hostel.  Well, I took 3 total.  I only got lost once and that was because I missed my stop!  So I felt rather proud of myself for making it here in a city I do not know.

I went to the little shop a few doors down for a snack...kinda skipped dinner but I was so tired I just wanted to sleep.  Called my mom to let her know I was here and then went to bed at 7:30.  I could not even stay awake when I tried to watch a movie on my laptop!  Man, jetlag is tough!  I was wide awake at 5:30 this morning, but then decided to sleep more and slept till 10:00.  So for most of 15 hours, I was sleeping!  I think that's a new PR.

I'll check out of my hostel in a few min and take a cab to the apartment I'm sharing with classmates.  I've no idea how to hail a cab from here so that will be interesting.  People were nice and helped me know which bus to take so hopefully someone here can help me get a cab.  The street my hostel is on a lot like the ramblas in Barca for anyone who has been there.  It's big enough for one car and is all windy like old roads are.

I feel like I've rambled on a bit but had a lot to say.  It was quite the journey getting here!  More to come soon!

Ashlita

No comments:

Post a Comment