Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Plane ticket: $$$, Jet Lag: Lame, Spending time in Sevilla: Priceless!

Hola!

It's official now.  I'm going to SEVILLE (aka SEVILLA)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night, I bought my plane ticket from cheapoair.com.  I've never bought a ticket through them and am still figuring them out, but they had the best fare by a lot, and it's all the way thru to Sevilla.  I was contemplating flying to Madrid and then taking a train or local Spanish airline/Ryanair (yeah I know) to Sevilla, but I found a good deal on actually getting to Sevilla.  I'll fly through Chicago and Madrid on 2 different airlines (American and Iberia).  I'm psyched to fly on a Spanish airline and see what that's like.  It's likely the exact same but still.  They may have some neat Spanish touches, like British Airways does on their flights.  I flew them last summer and had a good experience with them.  I will need to research how movies work on Iberia air (cuz on a 8 hour flight, they're kinda crucial).

So it's happening.  I'm going from uber excited, to terrified, then back to excited.  This is going to be a grand adventure and I'm looking forward to personal growth, learning more about Spanish culture, improving my Spanish, making new friends with people from lots of countries, and the Mediterranean climate.  Let's not forget sangria.  Mustn't forget sangria!

I'm going to miss home a lot and that makes me nervous.  It's also scary having no idea when I'll be back.  I bought a one way ticket because of this.  Many people have told me that it's "gutsy", "courageous" and "brave" to do this, but I've never actually thought of myself that way!  I am afraid of speed, heights, and rides in general.  Truth be told, I'm kind of a wimp and certainly not extreme.  I suppose they are right though.  It takes a lot of something to go all alone to a foreign country where you don't know anyone.  I do speak the language and know the culture moderately well.  I figure if crisis strikes, I've got Megan and Brian in Germany and that's a lot closer than Seattle.  Let's hope all goes well and that I can find work so I don't have to decide between depleting my savings and leaving.  Also, I'm praying that I meet awesome new people in a hurry!  The first 2 nights I'm there will be spent in a hostel because I don't think I can get into my apartment until the Sunday before class.  We'll see.  On that note, fingers crossed for cool roomies!

Well, thanks everyone for support as I made my journey to this decision to go abroad and follow my heart to Spain.  I'm fascinated with this country and excited to experience new things.  More updates to come as I make further preparations.  If anyone has advice on Sevilla, or Spain in general, I'm all ears!

Besitos y Abrazos,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment