Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Watching sports helps a frazzled Seattle girl.

Well, it was a great weekend for Seattle sports!  The Sounders came out with a win against Real Salt Lake, a team who is having a really good season.  The Mariners won 2 of their 3 games against the Yankees which felt really good.  Gotta love beating those guys!  As frazzled as I have been trying to get ready for Spain (both mentally and otherwise), it was really relaxing to just chill out in front of my beloved Sounders and Mariners and cheer them on.  Yesterday, I made it to the ballpark and watched as the M's beat the Orioles 4-3.  I didn't realized how much sitting in front of a game helped me to relax until these past few days, where I watched 3.5 baseball games and a soccer game.  Sounds like a lot of TV time, but the weather here is still pretty cold and gray so I don't feel too guilty.  I did take walks and get out when it was nice.

Also, I went up to the beach and spent a few days with my parents.  We discussed my plans for Spain and I began to read my Lonely Planet Spain travel book to see what it had to say about Seville.  I need to reserve a spot in a hostel for those first 2 nights.  I'm a little nervous to be alone for a few days but hopefully it will work out fine.  I had not considered until recently how much mental preparation I'd need for this move.  It's time for a big change and while change is not easy for me, sometimes in life we need to step out of our comfort zones in order to grow.  Spending those first few days all alone will be tough for me but I know it'll be fine in the end. 

My pastor recently talked to me about how I would probably want to consider finding some sort of church while there and I figure she's right.  My mental and emotional health will need it!  However, Spain is very Catholic historically (well after they took over the Islamic roots of the country), so I don't know what I'll find in terms of a church that is more mainstream.  I doubt I'll find anywhere as hippie liberal as my beloved UCUCC.  I mean hippie liberal as a term of endearment, I promise!  If nothing else, I'll listen to sermons from home off of our church website. 

Well, this is getting long and my workday is finally coming to a close.  Hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Abrazos y besitos,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment