Friday, April 1, 2011

Entry numero uno

So I've decided to start a blog.  We'll see how this goes.  Ultimately I'd like to be in Spain next year for a fairly decent amount of time and I figure having a blog would be good then.  It certainly beats the mass emails I did last time I went abroad for a long time (Oaxaca). 

I've applied for a program to spend 8 months in Spain as a teacher's assistant.  The chances of me getting excepted are slim to none...as in my application is #4,475 and they take 2,000 people.  Fingers crossed though!  That's only the number for the online application and surely there are people who apply online but don't send in their hard copies, making them ineligible.  However, I'm kind of ok with whether I get accepted or not because in this program, you don't choose where you live.  They just place you somewhere and try to work within your geographical preferences.  So I have a Plan B.  That is to take a TEFL/TESOL course (Teachers of English as a Foreign Language/Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages).  I could take this class here as an online course and it would be cheaper.  But I can't see doing that when I could be taking it somewhere like Barcelona or Madrid.  So the plan is to take it there (it's an intense 4 week course), pass with flying colors and earn my certificate to teach English.  Then I'd find a job.  There are actually many agencies here who offer the course either here or in Spain and then offer assistance in finding jobs and even housing.  So we'll see what happens.  I'm hoping this will all work out somehow!

In other news, the company I work for moved to a new building and it's really awful.  I'm in a small cube in a dreary area of cement floors and a wall 4 feet from my back.  No more window to look out of and no more open office feeling left.  My cube has high walls to help with sound but it makes me feel like I'm trapped in a box just hearing life on the outside.  Call it a pity party (you'd be right).  Anyway, life is not easy sometimes.  And then there are friends and cupcakes...and that makes it all better.  And beer.  Let's not forget how much better you feel after a beer and watching a soccer or baseball game.

That's it for now.  Will post soon on my new challenge to self-only wearing 30 clothing/shoe items for a month and using those pieces to create new outfits!

No comments:

Post a Comment