Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Things n' stuff

So I am told that I need update this already!  I couldn't agree more actually.  I don't know how a week and a half passed between entries.  Last week/weekend I was playing soccer, celebrating my birthday with a few friends, nursing the inevitable hangover (tequila and vodka=hangover), then celebrating with my family.  Then it was Easter and then suddenly, it was Monday and I had to go to freakin work.  Well, here's an update on stuff in general:

30 x 30 Fashion Challenge:  Ummm, this is hard!  It's been way tougher than I thought it would be to create 30 different outfits.  To just wear those same 30 items for the month is one thing, but to have to not repeat outfits got really hard.  So I've cheated a few times and wore repeat outfits.  I think I could do more with my jean skirt but I've made good use of most everything else.  Tomorrow, I shall find a new way to rock the jean skirt.

Spain:  Well the waiting game has begun.  They said we'd know about mid-April (when the deadline for all apps to be in) who got positions and who got waitlisted for my original Plan A-the Language and Culture Assistant gig through the Spanish Ministry of Education.  I still haven't heard anything so now my struggle is to figure out how long I can wait before signing up for the TESOL/TEFL class instead.  I don't want to wait too long but on the other hand, do want to see what becomes of the Ministry of Ed program.  It would cost a  lot less and be more legal.  But then again, I like the idea of choosing where to live and I can't do that in the first program-they just put you somewhere.  So I'm wrestling with this still but I hope to hear back within a week or so.  Even then, if I'm waitlisted which I think I will be...what do I do?  Should I wait a bit or just jump on the TESOL train?  Ayudame!  Help!  I know I'll feel waaaay better once some set plans are put in place.

Life otherwise is fine, nothing new.  I really enjoyed my birthday and being reminded of the awesome people in my life.  I think that being reminded of who loves you is part of why I love birthdays!  My parents gave me an Ipod Touch so that I can download skype and use it to call home when I'm in Spain!  I'm so excited to be able to have a cheap way to call everyone and keep in touch!  Yes, I know, my parents totally spoil me!  I think I turned out ok though, so it worked out.  I don't say that to be conceited...I'm just giving my parents kudos for teaching me to be generous and help others. Though I have a lot, I do try to be generous.  I'm proud of sponsoring my child in the Philippines.

Not much else to report for now.  We've had the coldest April on record here in Seattle.  Blech.  Luckily, it was a beautiful sunny day on my birthday!  The sun came out just for me!  Our president just released his birth certificate to appease all those doubting him. 

Just for fun I've decided to list the cultural differences I can think of between Europe and the United States.  Not that you don't know these...I'm just bored.  Also, I think I'll learn a lot more differences later.

Transportation
USA-Not great (in Seattle anyway)                  
EUROPE-Transportation is easier, more options for public transit

Food Portions
USA-Huge portions are the norm. 
EUROPE-Portions tend to be a bit smaller, especially in items like pastas, which Italians eat in a smaller quantity accompanied later by a meat course.

Restrooms
USA-Public restrooms are free-always.  I don't think I've ever paid to use a restroom.                               
EUROPE- Pay to pee-almost always and the bathrooms are still gross a lot of the time.  Even in Harrods, the fine department store in London, it costs a pound to go.  Also, in English speaking places, the bathroom is referred to as the toilet or loo or lavatory.

Speed limits
USA-speed limits exist and tickets are given often.  I don't know how this works in Europe...
EUROPE-Autobahn anyone?  In Germany, you can drive much faster and on the famous Autobahn, there are no speed limits.  I still have a little fear of speed leftover from when I was little, so poor Megan had to deal with that a bit (sorry!)

Nudity
USA-to my knowledge there are not many beaches where one can be nude or even half nude.
EUROPE-even on a non-nude beach, it is totally common to go topless (yes, even the girls).  I saw this firsthand in Barca, but I am told it's the norm all over.  They think we're prudes over here in the States!  European movies have more graphic sex scenes than American or Canadian made movies.

Alcohol
USA-legal drinking age of 21 with strict laws enforcing it.
EUROPE-I don't know of a real legal drinking age...perhaps some countries have them but it seems to be the norm for kids to drink wine sometimes and for teens to drink beer...I'll have to learn more about this because I'm not totally sure how it works. 

Sports
USA-baseball and American football are the main standards, also basketball is big.  We're just starting to get soccer.
EUROPE-real football aka soccer is the big sport and they don't have baseball.  Cricket seems to be the closest.  They are also big into rugby to my knowledge, a sport less known in the USA.

That's it for now!  A comparison between USA and Spain will surely come later!

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment