Friday, April 8, 2011

Waiting is no fun...and Go Mariners!

This blogging this is fun, though I have to say I feel a little narcissistic.  Oh well, not like many people are reading this anyway so it's more just for fun.  If (when) I go to Spain, more will be in tune I hope.  Speaking of which, I suck at waiting!  It's April 8 and I could know as soon as one week from today if I have a shot in hell at a placement.  Or it could take until April 30.  I'm going to assume I'm waiting till April 30 to find out.  I thought they were assigning positions as they received apps, but then upon re-reading the manual, it seems like no one will get their placement until April 15th?  I'm not totally sure.  It's not so much that I have my heart set on this program as it is that I am anxious to start making some decisions about which program I am doing and when.  This is a big deal and I want to carefully create my plan.  At the same time, it's been a month or so since I decided to do this and I still feel quite strongly about it so I know it's what I want to do. 

I have put up the calendar pictures from last year's up in my cubicle (my friend John strongly encouraged me to do something to my ugly green cube walls) and one of my favorite quotes is: "It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, 'Always do what you are afraid to do'".  Ralph Waldo Emerson said this.  I so appreciate it because truthfully, I am terrified of going to a new country all alone!  I'm hoping it'll work out somehow to see Megan while I'm abroad.  Either we could meet up before my class/program begins or after.  Fingers crossed!  Her schedule is up in the air too so we're just going to wait and see.

It's baseball and soccer season!  Already my spirits have lifted a bit in knowing that my beloved Sounders and Mariners are playing.  I went to the Sounders opener a few weeks ago and I'm headed to the M's opener tonite.  Last week they started their season but it was an away game so Smiley and I watched at my house.  Tonite is the first game without Dave Niehaus since the team started in the 70's!  They are doing something for him in Opening Ceremonies and I think I'm gonna cry for sure.  This is the man I grew up listening to.  Even if my family was watching the game on tv (as we often did during dinner), we would mute the TV so we could listen to Dave on the radio instead.   

"Get out the rye bread and the mustard granny, it's grand salami time!"  "My oh my!" 
"Swung on and belted...that ball will fly, fly away!" 

Thanks for the good times Mr. Niehaus!  We miss you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment